Address books will need to be moved by hand. To help with this, both systems can be logged into at the same time which allows copy and pasting between windows/tabs.
Messages in Webmail Directories:
These messages can be moved from Webmail to Surgeweb by forwarding the messages back to the same email account they are already in.
Example: email@example.com needs to move their old mail from Webmail. He is on a mailing list about cars and he has made a directory called ‘CARS’ in Webmail to hold all of those messages. To move this directory to Surgeweb, he would:
Log into Webmail.
- Click to enter the ‘CARS’ directory
- Select all the messages on that page
- Click ‘Forward’
- In the ‘To’ field, enter his own email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Double-check these are going to the correct email address.
- Click the box next to Digest Mode.
- In the Subject Line, change the line after ‘Fwd:’ to something to identify where these messages came from like the directory name and page number: ‘CARSp1’
- Uncheck the box next to Keep Copies
- Send the message.
- Repeat with every page of the directories' email until all messages have been sent. To keep track, the subject line of the emails can be changed to reflect the page sent.
Log into Surgeweb.
The forwarded messages should be in your inbox. Surgemail’s use of directories allows better handling of folders, so putting old mail back into folders in Surgeweb is reccommended. To expand the forwarded messages:
- Click ‘Manage’ next to ‘More Folders’.
- Create a new folder for the messages like ‘CARS’
- Click ‘Done’
- Check the box next to the email or emails (if there are more than 1 messages going into the folder)
- Click ‘More Actions’, then ‘Move to Folder’, then the chosen destination folder name
- Click the folder to open it. It may be under ‘More Folders’ so that may need to be clicked first
- View the email. Click ‘store in current folder’
- The messages in the email are now stored in the directory and are now accessible.
- To cut down on mailbox size, the email message that was just expanded can be deleted.